A striking new educational landmark on Niagara Street opened for business with the start of the Fall 2015 semester. The new 85,000-square-foot Dr. Charles and Mary Schweitzer Bauer School of Arts, Sciences and Education Building (SASE) features a mix of faculty and administration offices; 19 state-of-the art research and teaching laboratories; nine smart classrooms; and shared conference areas.
The $26.7 million facility will serve as home to the academic departments that make up the School of Arts, Sciences and Education, including: Business, Liberal Arts, Division of Math and Natural Sciences and Education departments. The building is flanked by a 50-car parking lot on Prospect Avenue and features a small café area in the atrium and many lounge spaces to promote connection and collaboration among students and faculty.
According to College officials, in designing the building, architects and College leaders took inspiration from the best new facilities on campuses nationwide. The result is a structure created for collaboration, flexible and adaptable, and reflecting state-of-the-art thinking in every detail—from the microscopes students will use to the digital displays they will view. The building, built in 1890, previously served as headquarters for the nonprofit organization, Gateway Longview. In its renovation, the College sought to retain the original architectural character of the building as well as complement the historic structures in the neighborhood.
The new building features the original brick façade integrated into the Niagara Street entrance. During the past decade, D'Youville College has invested nearly $100 million dollars in the West Side campus for facilities improvements and a new academic center, all necessary for increased enrollment and new academic programs including pharmacy and chiropractic. A dedication and ribbon-cutting for the building was held on Saturday, September 19, 2015.